Tuesday, May 22, 2012

A.P.E (Advice from Personal Experience): First Jobs

I just recently had my first job (well, taste of one). My good friend Brittany works at Edible Arrangements (if you don't know what Edible Arrangements is, it's a nice little company that creates tasty fruit bouquets). It gets extremely busy over the Mother's Day weekend (legitimately, it's insane), so Brittany hired some extra workers to help through the weekend. I was pretty pumped about it, but pretty nervous, too! I'd never worked before (not counting babysitting), so I had no idea what to do, what I should wear, should I talk to my boss or just be super quiet and busy? What do I do if a customer yells at me? Is it okay to take a baby meltdown in the bathroom?

Well, here's my little A.P.E. for those first-timers in the job pool. (A.P.E. is my first attempt at having something to keep up with in my blog, instead of random updates about how I slept until 2 and giving my guinea pig a bath...).

  • Wear comfortable shoes! - This is almost THE most important piece of advice I could give you. The first day I just pulled on my slip on Vans and went out the door, thinking that they would be fine. WRONG! My dogs were barking almost an hour into working, and by the time I got home all I could do was sit on the couch and massage my toes. My pinkie toe was numb and the heels of my feet were throbbing! After that, I decided to suck it up and wear my Nikes (even if they aren't the most fashion forward). After the first day, I didn't care about looking cute, I just wanted to be able to stand! So your smartest decision is to get the most comfortable shoe for your job. If you're standing a lot, definitely wear some sneakers that support your feet, or some Dr. Scholl's. It will help your feet and your mood, and that way you'll be able to work happily and want to go back!
  • Get at least 8 hours of sleep! This might be obvious, but I can't stress it enough. Sleep will be your best friend. I worked 8-9 hour days and when I got home, I conked out on my couch, waking up for dinner, a shower, then heading to bed. For me, that was not a good idea! I'd nap for 3 hours, but be wide awake when it was time to actually sleep. Then I wouldn't fall asleep until late, then only get about 6 hours of straight sleep. I worked straight for a week, so I didn't have a break in between the days, so I got pretty behind on my sleep napping like I did. If you do nap, just do a good 20 minute power nap! It may not seem like a lot, but it's just enough to wake you up. Don't get behind on sleep, cause you don't want to fall asleep in a box of strawberries (I almost did...). 
  • Check signs before you go into parking garages. My friend and I drove around for almost 10 minutes looking for parking until we stumbled upon a pretty cheap parking garage! We just drove in and found a parking spot as quick as possible, rushing into the store so we wouldn't be late. Only when we left did we realize that they only took cash and not debit cards. We searched my friend's car for extra dollars, but ended up only finding dusty change. When we drove up, we tried to explain to the man at the gate that we didn't see the signs. He was SO MAD. He let us out for free, but we could tell he was pretty close to telling us "Too bad". So make sure to look all around to see how parking garages (or parking meters) take money. My city just installed parking meters that take change AND cards, so that's convenient. In the end, I would just be more prepared than I was and try to look up where parking is in advanced and plan ahead! That way you won't be late rolling all around the city AND you won't put yourself on a gate keeper's deathlist! (Is that what they're called? Gate keepers? And 'Gate keeper's deathlist' sounds like some fantasy novel or deathmetal band...)
  • Asking for help does not make you weak. When I was starting out, I had to ask for help ALL the time. It was better than just guessing and doing the whole job wrong! Asking your fellow employees how to do something doesn't make you look like you're inadequate, it makes you look like you want to improve on your job. Which, of course you do! You'll get the hang of the job more easily if you check to make sure you're doing your job right and get any questions you have answered. You'll be happier and less stressed! 
  • Friends as bosses = not boss. No indeed! My bffff Brittany was the one who hired me and I had an image of me and her dancing around the store, sipping on smoothies, sucking helium out of balloons and jamming to 'classic' rock. I imagined us kind of like Empire Records, except with fruit and ribbons instead of tapes and cds. And without all that awesome 90s clothing.
Well, I DID end up jamming to music and drank smoothies. While I was washing dishes and whenever there were mushy strawberries to spare. We were constantly working and, because she was my boss, I was easily irratible if she didn't listen to me or told me what I was doing wrong. She's hardcore about her job and I think because we have been friends for so long we don't have boundaries, like a normal "supervisor-employee" relationship. If you're friend is your boss, don't expect the job to be a nonstop dance party. It will when the shop closes up, but you will be working. HARD. You'll also have to get over the fact that you won't be 'equal' with your friend. Even though you may have shared awkward phases and swapped crushes in the 4th grade, that'll all be tossed aside to get the job done. If you aren't doing it right, they will tell you so! And you may get snippy and grouchy (then again, I didn't have much sleep and sore toes...), but after the day is through, you'll still be friends. Just not for those hours you're working.
Well, there you have it! What I learned from my first job, and I'll definitely be taking it into account when I get my next job. You can bet I'll be padding my toes and sleeping as much as I can! 
Hope that helps. Have a lovely day, dear!

No comments:

Post a Comment