Monday, October 1, 2012

11 Reasons Why October 1st is Awesome.

Take a big breath in. Smell that crisp air with a hint of magic and pumpkins? That, my dear reader, is the first of October. Now, for those of you thinking "Doh ho, the first of October is not stupendous in the least bit!", let me tell you that it indeed is stupendous and in the most bit. Here are eleven beautiful reasons to get down with October 1st.


1. Every single store now has Halloween related things everywhere.

Before, in those early days of September, I would creep along the aisles looking for anything black and orange. I only found a few dog costumes and random cookie cutters, but NOW I can't walk into a store without the burst of black, orange, bats and skeletons. It's like you live in Halloweentown or something.

2. Pumpkin patch is officially open.
 I freakin' love the pumpkin patch. I don't care if I'm twenty-one and can't fit on the kiddy train anymore, the pumpkin patch is still amazing! I love going out and picking that lucky little pumpkin and running through the corn maze like an idiot. And don't get me started on the hayride. Yeah, your pants might be full of straw and your butt a little itchy, but it's SO. FUN.

3. You can talk about costume ideas and not look crazy.
If you don't already know, I plan my Halloween costumes for the year pretty much as soon as it's November. I usually have about ten or fifteen different ideas by summer, and then have to narrow it down to the official choices once September hits (that way I have almost two months to work on it). Unfortunately, most of my best costume ideas come to me closest to Halloween, but by then I can confide with all my friends about my different ideas and then they don't just roll their eyes and say "It's the 4th of July, what are you talking about?!"
Is Thor a cool girl costume?

 4. You are guaranteed apple cider and caramel apples.
As soon as I feel a chill in the air, I get this intense craving for apple cider. However, usually stores don't have those goodies until late September, but there's no reason for any store NOT to have apple cider or caramel apples by October 1st.

5. Halloween decorating is now appropriate.
If it was my decision, Halloween decorations would be up all year long (okay, maybe I do...), but on October 1st no one can tell you it's too early to put out that screaming skeleton or staple a thousand pumpkin lights to your house.

6. You can find at least one Halloween themed movie on TV.
Usually the Halloween specials are saved for later in the month (or 13 days before Halloween, ABC Family), but on October 1st I guarantee you one movie on your television is either creepy or has something to do with Halloween. If you don't see a single pumpkin on your TV during October 1st, I will throw you a personal movie marathon.

7. PUMPKIN CARVING.
In September, you don't really know how the weather will be, but once October 1st hits, the temperature will probably be consistent enough, so you can get to carvin' some pumpkins and they won't warp or get all ooky. No one likes a deformed Hello Kitty that you spent hours on (but you could always say she's the zombie version).
"Well hey there, little kids!"
8. Halloween Party invites.
People don't like having parties with no people showing up, so October 1st is the prime time for invitations to go out (or at least word-of-mouth talks about parties). You might want to stock up on some costumes now.

9. Giddy feeling when you're reminded that it's now October, which = Halloween.
Every time I look at the calendar, I get all squealy because I realize it's October and officially the Halloween season. September's cool and all, but once October 1st rolls around, then it is OFFICIALLY HALLOWEEN SEASON.

10. Haunted houses are open for business.
I LOVE haunted houses. I mean, who doesn't like getting the crap scared out of them? As soon as October begins, the doors of every warehouse and the rows of every cornfield are opened up to the public, transforming into a live horror film. This weekend you can bet you'll see me peeling through a corn maze, Leatherface blazing a path behind me with that trusty chainsaw of his. See you this weekend, Leath-y!

What a nice guy.
11. 30 DAYS UNTIL HALLOWEEN.
I can't really elaborate more on that reason.

 Happy First-of-October everyone! (With those reasons, how is October 1st not a national holiday?) I hope everyone is celebrating accordingly, I am actually going to split to prepare for decorating my entire home in Halloween decor and drinking my weight in apple cider. Yeah!

xoxo

3 comments:

  1. All excellent reasons to love October! Welcome to the countdown!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, October 1st is the best, especially since October 2 is my birthday ;) Have a nice day :)

    ReplyDelete