Monday, October 15, 2012

Sweetest Transvestite in Town

The first time I saw Rocky Horror Picture Show, I was quite confused, for lack of a better word. It was like nothing I had ever seen, and there were so many questions to be asked: "Who were these Transylvanians? Why were they all living in this house? Why did that guy dressed like a girl kill the guy on the bike? WAIT, THEY'RE ALIENS?!". I still really haven't found out the answers to these questions, but now I just look past all the craziness and confusion and instead embrace my inner Frank-N-furter and sing my little heart out every time I watch it.

Well, now this little singalong fan girl is going to attend her first midnight showing of RHPS. Yep, that's right: I'm a fan that's never witnessed the happenings of a midnight showing. I've never thrown toast. I've never held up a newspaper while Janet and Brad sing in the rain. And, the sad thing?
That's all I know that they do at the midnight screenings!

GASP!
 So, here is my attempt at researching, in case you plan on going to your own screening of RHPS, and what to expect (especially for the 'de-virginization', YIKES).



First things first, PROP LIST AND WHEN TO USE WHAT:

rice (or confetti if you want to be on the safe side)- The wedding scene! Once the bride and groom come out of that church, throw that rice (or confetti). When the wedding guests on-screen stop throwing, there's your cue to cut the confetti. Also used when Frank and Rocky go off to the bedroom together


newspaper- So, I've heard that when Janet and Brad get caught in the rain, people tend to throw water (maybe you want to bring some? Maybe not?). Like Janet, I would advise a newspaper to put over your head to keep you nice and dry! As soon as you see rain on the screen, I'd put it up, just to be on the safe side....

water guns- Okay, do NOT quote me on this one, but the list on the Official RHPS Fan Site says that people bring water guns to make their own personal rainstorm (so THAT'S how you bring water...). Wherever you're going, I'd either call the theater to check or just sneak the water in and check to see if anyone else is using it.

flashlights- So, during the line "There's a light" in 'Over at the Frankenstein Place', you light up your flashlight (or handy dandy cell phone screen) and fill the theater with light.

rubber gloves- Doctor Frank-n-furter has gloves on when he's in the laboratory, presenting Rocky. Whenever Frank snaps his gloves, get to snappin' yours!

noisemakers- After Frank's creation speech, the Transylvanians make lotsa noise, mainly with these babies. I'll probably just get a kazoo.

Scotts toiletpaper (or any kind)- I never really understood why toilet paper was thrown until now. When Dr. Scott shows up, Brad yells "Great Scott!". SO, at that point, you throw your Scotts toilet paper. Get it? I had a nice little chuckle at that fact.

toast- Also, not too sure about this being let in the theater (even if it's a classic). When Frank does his toast at dinner, throw your toast! How punny. Be prepared to walk out of that theater with some crumbs in your shirt...

party hat- When Frank puts on a birthday hat before singing 'Happy Birthday' to Rocky, slap one on! Or two or three, your decision.

bell (or keys)- During the song "Planet Janet Schmanet" (a personal favorite of mine!), Frank sings 'Did you hear a bell ring?', ring your bell (bell, bell, ring your bell. Am I the only one that knows that song?).

playing cards that you plan on not getting back- Final song, "I'm Going Home", Franky sings 'Cards for pleasure, cards for pain'. That's your cue to start playing 52 Pick Up minus the picking up.

Supposedly, there are prunes and hot dogs that have been thrown before? I do not advise this. Especially since cold hot dogs are slimey and smell bad.


COSTUMES:
Another big party of the RHPS experience is to go in costume! If you don't know what to go as, I'd suggest a Transylvanian. Pretty much all you need is a black suit jacket, black pants, a bright shirt and a crazy hat and sunglasses. I'm going to dress as Columbia in her jammies (easy and cute!).


DE-VIRGINIZATION: WHAT IS IT?!
Oh jeeze. Well kids, I honestly have this to tell you: pretty much, the 'de-virginization' at a showing is just being put in a really weird and awkward position before the show starts to make the crowd laugh, and then you're done. There's actually some videos of it on youtube, which were interesting and not too bad, but I know some people who'd get embarrassed pretty easily, so it's really all up to you! If you don't want to do it, just simply act cool when they call for all virgins, possibly point to a friend inconspicuously. 

Well, this is what I'll be going through in a couple weeks. I'm really excited, partly terrified, and not at all prepared. I need to get my supplies and costume ready! AND I still have yet to find my Shaun of the Dead costume! Yikes!

If you are going to a RHPS screening this month, let me know how it went and what you thought of it! If you are a veteran at these screenings, let me know some dos and donts of the experience!


*All info found from The Rocky Horror Fan Site!

2 comments:

  1. This has got to be the funnest movie ever! Your post is full of good info!

    I lost my Rocky Horror virginity (snort, giggle) at a live outdoor performance. We were able to buy virgin bags before going into the theater. It had the newspaper, squirt guns, party hat, noisemakers and I don't remember what else in it already. They had a screen on the stage that told you what prop to use when. During intermission, they had a costume contest and a lot of people chose to wear their underwear ala Brad & Janet. And of course, the winner got to dance the Time Warp with the cast on stage. it was a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, that does sound like a lot of fun! I'm kinda nervous for the de-virginization, but it'll be a definite experience!

      Delete