Sunday, October 14, 2012

Halloween In Movies

Anyone else notice that Halloween in movies is just way better than in real life? Fall in general just looks better. The colors are all cool, everyone's dressed up, there are thousands of trick-or-treaters and there's huge costume parties and parades and dances. The cities seem to decorate everything, too. It's like they only celebrate Halloween and just go all out for it. You know what my city does? It gives the kids a curfew that makes filling up on candy nearly impossible. Plus, half the kids just slap on a mask and come to your door, expecting buttloads of Snickers. And you I can probably count on one hand how many houses actually put their heart into decorating their house for Halloween, not just one of those blow-up Snoopies with a pumpkin. If I could give anything, I would want to hop into a Halloween special and live in a orange and black wonderland on a permanent sugar high. Don't know what movies I'm talking about? Feast your eyes and be jealous of the celebrations that your city probably doesn't do.


Hocus Pocus- This costume party is the best costume party I've never been to. The costumes were crazy, the skeleton band was hot, and then there was a spell that made everyone get up and dance (I mean, it was meant to be a curse, but I think dancing until you die would be fun). Hocus Pocus is in Salem, Massachusetts, so that kind of explains all that crazy awesome Halloween party-going, but I'm still super jealous. I mean, why can't I just get into some trouble with three witches and a talking black cat on Halloween? Is that too much to ask?


Trick r Treat- I adore this film. Maybe that's because there's all these Halloween parties and trick-or-treaters that go all out. Oh, and maybe because of that awesome Halloween parade. Yes, you read that right: A HALLOWEEN PARADE. My city doesn't have a Halloween parade. I don't even think that my state has one. Plus, since Halloween's on a weekday, there probably wouldn't even be any festivities. Because my town is a big, conservative bore. Boo!


Goosebumps: The Haunted Mask - Okay, so pretty much every Goosebumps episode could probably work for this, but they always had the perfect fall weather! It always looked so crisp and bright, with the greatest leaf colors and every house decked out with decorations. I watched this episode a couple years ago and was so jealous of the kids getting to trick-or-treat in this awesome pro-Halloween town. It was like a dreamland (all except for that creepy mask).


R.L. Stine's The Haunting Hour: Don't Think About It- Same guy as Goosebumps, but for the newer crowd. Every year I get this movie out and watch it. I don't care if it was made for elementary school kids, I still watched it in high school and got all excited at the festivities in it. I mean, the parents even went to a costume party! ON A SCHOOL NIGHT. I was so jealous. I mean, parents nowadays would just shrug their shoulders, maybe hand out a piece of candy or two, then go to sleep like Halloween was any other boring night. Wrong. It's not, as this movie shows. No ones too old for costume parties.

I wish my town would sit down, watch these films and realize how much awesomeness they're wasting on a beautiful night like Halloween. I mean, throw a damn parade, at least! Even if it's just a bunch of kids in costumes, who cares! At least it's something, jeeze. I think I'm going to go wallow in my sorrows of not having awesome festivities and pine for a talking cat while watching Hocus Pocus.
 

1 comment:

  1. I love all these Halloween movies! I wish "real-life Halloween" looked like the places in these movies, too! Here in SoCal we don't get any of the crisp, cool autumnal weather or colorful foliage of the season :( At least the movies help us get in the spirit!

    ReplyDelete